Mary McDonnell • Retired Cleveland Clinic Center for Specialized Women's Health Registered Nurse
Italian bruschetta is a wonderful way to capture the flavors of ripe summer tomatoes, fresh garden basil and garlic.
- 6 or 7 plum tomatoes or regular tomatoes (1½ lbs)
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 6-8 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 2 baguettes
- In a bowl, add the chopped tomatoes (should be about 1/4 inch pieces).
- Also add the minced garlic, balsamic vinegar, extra virgin olive oil and chopped basil leaves (1/4 inch pieces) to the bowl.
- Stir the ingredients and cover (if not serving immediately, store the bowl in the refrigerator overnight).
- Cut the baguette into 1/4 - 1/2 inch slices and place on a cookie sheet.
- Place 1 teaspoon full of the bowl ingredients on each slice of baguette.
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese, 3 cheese Mexican, feta or whatever kind of cheese you like on top of each baguette slice.
- Bake at 450°F for 5-6 minutes.
Yields 16 servings (each baguette loaf cut into 8 slices)
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
Nutritional analysis totals below are per 1/16 of recipe
- 116 calories
- 19 carbohydrates
- 3 grams protein
- 3 grams fat
- <1 gram fiber
- <1 gram cholesterol
- 197 grams sodium