Brown Rice Medley
Recipe submitted by Mary Wilson, Universal Sisters Spokesperson.
This version of stir-fried brown rice with veggies can be a one-dish meal or a full family dish, but is very healthy either way.
- 4 cups brown rice, cooked (for every cup of rice, use two cups of water)
- 1 clove garlic (chopped and add to rice while boiling)
- 1/2 cup onion (1 medium) (same as garlic)
- 4 cups veggies - we use yellow squash, broccoli, red and green peppers and carrots.
- Salt (add pinch to boiling water and rice)
- Rinse and then let rice boil. Once it boils, put lid on and lower flame to simmer.
- Stir fry veggies, add onion and garlic to flavor. Do not cook veggies until rice is ready.
- You may add cilantro and any other herbs you want at the last minute when you put the rice in. Cilantro adds a great taste.
This recipe makes 4 servings, each approximately 1 cup.
Baker’s Tip: Brown rice has a great nutty flavor. To serve, put the rice on a platter, and add the veggies on top.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
- 325 calories
- 7 grams protein
- 56 grams carbohydrates
- 9 grams fat (25% calories from fat)
- 63 milligrams calcium