Black Lentils With Kale and Pasta
This dish is not only easy-to-make, but healthy and delicious. Lentils and kale are both nutritionally rich foods. Lentils are a plant based protein source which provides protein without any fat or cholesterol. They also provide a source of slow digesting carbohydrate which will keep you feeling satisfied for hours and supply soluble fiber which research shows can help lower cholesterol levels. Kale is a dark green leafy vegetable that is a very rich source of vitamins K, C, and A, but also provides many minerals, including calcium, magnesium, copper, potassium, phosphorus and iron.
The rich sweetness of the carmelized onions really round out the earthy flavor of the kale and lentils.
Lauren Weber, D.O.
Women's Health Specialist and Family Practice, Center for Women's Health, A NorthBay Affiliate
- 1 large onion finely chopped (2 cups)
- 4 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 cup baby bella mushrooms thinly sliced
- 4 tbs of EVOO
- 1/2 cup black lentils washed and sorted
- 1 bunch of kale (curly leaf)
- 8 oz penne past (Whole wheat)
- Salt and pepper
- Crushed red pepper flakes to taste
- Cook lentils according to package directions. Once cooked, drain and save about 1/4 cup of the lentil water to add to the mixture.
- Saute onions and garlic in EVOO in a large skillet with salt and pepper for about 20 minutes covered on low. Uncover, add mushrooms and turn up heat to medium heat until caramelized into a brown color. Add in a pinch of red pepper flakes.
- Have a pot of water boiling on the stove and add salt and pepper. Cut and de-rib the stems of the kale and throw into the pot of water and cook for about 10 minutes. Pull out with tongs and drain in a collander.
- Coarsely chop the kale and add the the onion, garlic, mushroom and lentil mixture.
- Cook the pasta in the kale water. Once done, add to the mixture.
- Once lentils are cooked, add to onion mixture.
Possible options: add sun-dried tomatoes or parmesan cheese to spice it up
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
Makes 6 servings
- 310 Calories
- 11g Total Fat
- 1.5g Saturated Fat
- 0mg Cholesterol
- 20mg Sodium
- 44g Total Carbohydrate
- 7g Fiber
- 11g Protein