Black Bean Salad
Recipe submitted by Johanna Buccholtz, Editor-in-Chief, Siempre Mujer.
This Black Bean Salad contains lots of good-for-you ingredients, including foods that are high in fiber and “good" fats. You might want to use some of these table decorations to delight your family and guests.
- 1 fresh diced avocado
- 2 pounds of frozen corn
- 15 ounces of canned black beans, rinsed
- 1 cup of fresh chopped scallions
- 1 1/4 cups diced red peppers
- 2 cups fresh chopped tomatoes
- 2 jalapeno peppers
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons of lime juice
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients for salad dressing.
- Add the diced avocado to the dressing, toss gently and set aside.
- On a large sheet pan, roast the corn in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until slightly golden. Add the corn to a medium bowl and chill in the refrigerator.
- In a large bowl, combine chilled corn, black beans, scallions, red peppers, tomatoes and jalapenos. Toss with dressing.
This recipe makes 16 servings.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
- 130 calories
- 5 grams protein
- 21 grams carbohydrates
- 4 grams fat
- 0 milligrams cholesterol
- 245 milligrams sodium
- 5 grams fiber