Black Bean Salad
This Black Bean Salad contains lots of good-for-you ingredients, including foods that are high in fiber and “good" fats. You might want to use some of these table decorations to delight your family and guests.
Recipe submitted by Johanna Buccholtz, Editor-in-Chief, Siempre Mujer.
- 1 fresh diced avocado
- 2 pounds of frozen corn
- 15 ounces of canned black beans, rinsed
- 1 cup of fresh chopped scallions
- 1 1/4 cups diced red peppers
- 2 cups fresh chopped tomatoes
- 2 jalapeno peppers
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons of lime juice
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients for salad dressing.
- Add the diced avocado to the dressing, toss gently and set aside.
- On a large sheet pan, roast the corn in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until slightly golden. Add the corn to a medium bowl and chill in the refrigerator.
- In a large bowl, combine chilled corn, black beans, scallions, red peppers, tomatoes and jalapenos. Toss with dressing.
This recipe makes 16 servings.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
- 130 calories
- 5 grams protein
- 21 grams carbohydrates
- 4 grams fat
- 0 milligrams cholesterol
- 245 milligrams sodium
- 5 grams fiber