A smoothie is a nutritious treat for breakfast, or anytime you want a pick-me-up! Have fun experimenting with different flavors by including your favorite berries and seasonal fruits.
Recipe from Florence Henderson, National Honorary Chair, Speaking of Women's Health.
A smoothie is a great way to add additional vitamins and nutrients into your diet. Consider adding a protein powder, fiber supplement, wheat germ or other herbal supplements in powder form, just as this recipe suggests ground flaxseed. Remember what Mary Poppins said, “Just a spoonful of sugar ...?” Well, in this case, it’s a spoonful of smoothie! Enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed
- 1 banana
- 1 cup of low-fat or fat-free fruit yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups of frozen blueberries or strawberries (peaches, mangos, raspberries)
- 1 cup of low-fat soy milk
- Place all ingredients in blender and process until desired texture.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
- 1 cup low-fat soy milk: 35 calories