This quick, easy and elegant quiche is ideal for guests or a dinner with your family. Even better: compare this to a traditional quiche, which is over 500 calories and 40 grams of fat, in a single slice. You’ll never eat store-bought quiche again!
Thank you to the Cleveland Clinic Healthy Heart Cookbook.
- 1 whole-wheat pie crust
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- 2 shallots, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound asparagus, tough ends discarded, sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded, thinly sliced
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1/3 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 large tomato, seeded and diced
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt, optional
- Freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Line a tart pan with the pie crust.
- Coat a nonstick skillet with cooking spray.
- Preheat over medium heat and add the shallots. Sauté, stirring, for 3 minutes and then add the asparagus and mushrooms.
- Cook over medium-low heat for about 8 minutes. Place the vegetables in the unbaked crust.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the milk and egg substitute. Pour over the vegetables. Sprinkle with the cheese, thyme and oregano.
- Press gently with the back of a spoon to incorporate into the egg mixture. Top with the tomato, salt (if using), and pepper.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until set. Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes. Serve immediately.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
- 280 calories (34% calories from fat)
- 11 g total fat (3 g saturated fat)
- 12 g protein
- 35 g carbohydrate
- 4 g dietary fiber
- 5 mg cholesterol
- 140 mg sodium
- 470 mg potassium