The Challenges of Aging
What are the steps to successful aging?
As we age, we make choices about our lifestyle, health care, personal pursuits, and our plans for old age. A few "steps to successful aging" will help guide us to healthy and active golden years.
1) Adopt and maintain healthy habits and positive lifestyles:
- Avoid cigarette smoking
- Have no more than one alcoholic beverage in a 24-hour period
- Exercise regularly, maintaining the triad of weight bearing, aerobic, and balance activities
- Maintain a comfortable weight
- Get regular medical checkups
2) Maintain intellectual stimulation and socialization:
- Pursue hobbies and interests with passion, particularly those such as dancing that are social
- Strengthen family relationships
- Resolve intergenerational conflicts
- Engage in adult educational activities to challenge your mind
3) Be wise in financial planning:
- Plan in advance for retirement
- Carefully manage investments and assets
- Assure adequate insurance coverage
- Decide on your future living arrangements
4) Work to maintain dignity and good health in old age:
- Choose a physician knowledgeable in the medical care of older adults.
- Choose a health care system that facilitates appointments and care for elders.
- Communicate your goals of care to your family and physician.
- Express your advance directives in writing.
For more information, visit Cleveland Clinic’s Center for Specialized Women’s Health.