Caring for Teen Skin
The skin of teens requires special care and a gentle touch. The following guidelines can help you achieve the best possible results for your skin:
- Take care when choosing cosmetics. Cosmetics such as foundation, blush and moisturizers should be oil-free. Choose products that do not promote the formation of blemishes or cause blocked pores.
- Don’t pick your face. If you pick, squeeze or pinch blemishes, you risk developing acne scars. Don’t rub or touch blemishes.
- Be gentle with cleaning. Hard scrubbing will only make your skin condition worse. Gently wash your skin with a mild cleanser in the morning, at bedtime and after heavy exercise. Avoid rough scrubs or pads. After you wash your skin, rinse it thoroughly.
- Remember the risks of too much sun. The sun can damage the skin and promote skin’s premature aging. Therefore, daily use of sunscreen is recommended. Although a tan or sunburn can make the skin feel less oily, the benefits are short-lived. Remember that some acne medicines, as well as some other medicines, can make you more prone to sunburns. For this reason, use sunscreen all of the time. Re-apply sunscreen when you are in the sun for prolonged periods of time.
- Be careful when shaving. Avoid the accidental nicks of blemishes by shaving lightly and only when you have to. You can experiment with different razors to find the one that is more comfortable for your skin.