Ask the Nurse

Is it common to get a yeast infection after sexual intercourse? I seem to have a lot of pain the next day and then develop a yeast infection. This has been occurring for the past year.

Women with recurrent yeast infections should be tested for diabetes and HIV. In addition, not all vaginal irritation and infection are from yeast. That being said, semen is alkaline (as is blood and sweat). The vaginal tissues are healthier with a more acidic pH. RepHresh vaginal gel helps keep the vagina acidic. You might trying using over the counter repHesh vaginal gel after intercourse. Some women even need to take a monthly course of oral prescription Diflucan to reduce yeast burden.

However, you should be sure to see your women’s health physician for evaluation and treatment. In addition, eating a healthy diet and avoiding simple sugars and sweets can be beneficial for reducing yeast infections.

All My Best,
Speaking of Women's Health Nurse

September 11, 2013 at 1:55pm