Ask The Nurse

To personally discuss a medical issue or to make an appointment, call 216-444-4HER (216-444-4437). You can also make an appointment at Cleveland Clinic. For your security, please do not use this form to email personal, confidential health information. We cannot diagnose or treat by email. Our email policies are explained further in this disclaimer. You may also wish to review our privacy statement. Disclaimer | Privacy

Q: I am 66 years old, relatively healthy. Lately, I have problems with vaginal smell. Sometimes when I use the bathroom either I smell, or my urine smells. This changes hourly or daily. What can it be and who do I see? On occasion it hurts terribly when I do urinate, and then the next time it’s fine.

A: You sound like you may have a UTI (Urinary Tract Infection)/Bladder Infection. You need to call your primary care doctor and/or be seen in urgent care and get the urine checked, urine culture obtained and most likely start on antibiotics.  

It is possible you have vaginal atrophy, and local or systemic therapy may help and treatment of the vaginal atrophy can reduce the risks of future UTIs. Keep fluid intake up and see a physician.

All My Best,
Speaking of Women’s Health nurse

December 21, 2017 at 10:25am

Share this article


Go back to the question archive