Ask The Nurse

To personally discuss a medical issue or to make an appointment, call 216-444-4HER (216-444-4437). You can also make an appointment at Cleveland Clinic. For your security, please do not use this form to email personal, confidential health information. We cannot diagnose or treat by email. Our email policies are explained further in this disclaimer. You may also wish to review our privacy statement. Disclaimer | Privacy

I’m trying to get pregnant but haven’t so far. How long should I wait before I see a fertility specialist?

Infertility is generally defined as not conceiving after one year of unprotected intercourse. If you have been trying for a year or more, you and your partner may benefit from an evaluation.

Some couples should seek help earlier. Woman over age 35 are advised to have an evaluation after six months of trying to conceive. Men and women who have the following symptoms should also seek evaluation earlier:

  • Women with irregular periods and/or pelvic pain
  • Men with a history of urologic problems
  • Couples who are stressed from their inability to conceive

All My Best,
Speaking of Women's Health Nurse

July 18, 2011 at 2:29pm

Share this article


Go back to the question archive