Ask the Nurse

I have thin tissue in the vaginal area, and it is very dry. My physician recommended estrogen cream to thicken my tissue, but it burns and itches me. What are my other options?

Local vaginal treatments are effective treatments for vaginal atrophy. Local treatments include:

  • Estrogen creams (such as Estrace®/estradiol cream or Premarin®/conjugated estrogen vaginal cream)
  • Estrogen/estradiol tablets (such as Vagifem® or generic Yuvafem®) or the newer vaginal inserts Imvexxy® that have no applicator and have coconut oil in them
  • Every 3 month local vaginal ring Estring®

There are NON-estrogen therapies like vaginal DHEA. Some women cannot tolerate creams, but can tolerate the vaginal inserts or vaginal tablets.

For women who cannot or will not take vaginal estrogen, we recommend the Replens over the counter or Olive Oil. Both make for a nice moisturizer and lubricant.

For women who cannot or will not use creams, tablets, suppositories or a silastic ring in their vaginas, there is Osphena® (ospemifene) which is the first oral, daily tablet to treat vaginal atrophy. Vaginal atrophy is thinning, drying and inflammation of the vaginal walls due to your body having less estrogen.

You will need an exam by a women’s health specialist for a diagnosis to see if you have vulvo-vaginal atrophy, also termed "genital syndrome of menopause" as well as any skin condition like lichen sclerosis or even an infection.

All My Best,
Speaking of Women's Health Nurse

February 22, 2019 at 9:42am