Ask the Nurse

Can you tell me what kind of treatment is available for rosacea? I have really bad bumps and redness on my face. I know there is a way to treat it, but how? I keep washing my face day and night, and the doctor gave me some medicine, but neither are helping. What can I do?

Rosacea is a chronic, inflammatory condition that consists of papules (solid, rounded growth that is elevated from the skin), pustules (small, inflamed, pus-filled, blister-like lesions on the skin surface) and dilated blood vessels (Telangiectasias) that involve the face and is associated with flushing. Stress, cold weather, alcohol, hot flashes and caffeine may make skin worse

There are two different types of Rosacea:

  1. Vascular type, which is associated with persistent flushing
  2. Inflammatory type, which consists of pustules and papules

Treatment depends on the type of Rosacea you have and can include, but is not limited to the following:

  • Gentle skin care with use of bland, fragrance-free products
  • Topical antibiotics-metronidazole
  • Oral antibiotics-doxycycline
  • Other topical solutions-topical ivermectin
  • Laser therapy

Rosacea can be associated with other underlying photosensitive disorders and a skin biopsy may be necessary to determine which condition you may have. I highly recommend further evaluation by your primary physician or a dermatologist.

January 29, 2021 at 9:00pm