Ask the Nurse

I am diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis but have been told lately I am seronegative. When I see other specialists they act like I don’t have anything wrong. I am starting to have almost as much muscle pain as I do joint pain. Can you help me understand why and what I can do about it?

I am sorry to hear about your muscle and joint pain. Seronegative rheumatoid arthritis is a real condition and can be treated.

Women have arthritis and autoimmune conditions more commonly than men and these chronic conditions can be managed. Joint and muscle pain can occur due to low vitamin D, lack of proper exercise, other treatable medical conditions as well as side effects from certain medications (like "statins" which are cholesterol lowering medicines.)

I would recommend you see a rheumatologist who is experienced in this condition.

All My Best,
Speaking of Women's Health Nurse

June 7, 2012 at 11:53am