Ask the Nurse

I am an 82 year old woman who has a very large rectocele that protrudes into the genital area and also interferes with defecation. The recommendation is for Leforte Colpectomy/Colpocleisis surgery. Is this appropriate and if not, what would be an alternate solution?

It is important for women with prolapse to do the following:

  • Avoid constipation
  • Avoid weight gain
  • Avoid straining
  • Keep the pelvic muscles strong with Kegel exercises

You can discuss pessary treatment with your physician.

All My Best,
Nurse Mary

February 26, 2015 at 5:56pm