Ask the Nurse

Recently, I’ve been having a problem with my body overheating. I’m 71 years old and post-menopausal. It’s a very uncomfortable situation, and I would like to know if there is a natural way to balance my hormones without going on HRT. I didn’t experience any problems going through menopause, it was a breeze for me. I keep a close eye on my blood pressure and it is steadily normal. Normal for me is on the low side, which is lucky for me.

There is always a possibility that your "overheating" is due to something else, possibly your thyroid. Please see your regular doctor for evaluation.

If normal, there are other medications that are used besides hormone therapy for hot flashes such as:

  • SNRI (antidepressant) venlafaxine
  • Neurontin

Visit where you can find a menopause specialist in your area who will help you make sense of your symptoms and place you on the appropriate medications if necessary.

All My Best,
Speaking of Women's Health Nurse

April 4, 2013 at 1:54pm