Ask the Nurse

I have had a stroke and a heart attack, and I am intolerant to estrogen. What can I use for vaginal dryness safely? I can NOT use estrogen vaginal creams.

For women who cannot or will not take vaginal estrogen, we recommend Replens over-the-counter or Olive oil (in your pantry). Both make for a nice moisturizer and lubricant.

If vaginal atrophy is left untreated, it can lead to the following:

  • Dryness
  • Painful intercourse called dyspareunia
  • Potential increase in bladder infections and overactive bladder
  • Minor abnormalities in the pap smear termed ASCUS (atypical squamous cells of undetermined significance)

If you have any symptoms of discomfort, dryness, decreased lubrication or sensation, please see your physician for an evaluation.

You may be able to tolerate vaginal DHEA.

All My Best,
Speaking of Women's Health Nurse

March 19, 2019 at 9:39am