To personally discuss a medical issue or to make an appointment, call 216-444-4HER (216-444-4437). You can also make an appointment at Cleveland Clinic. For your security, please do not use this form to email personal, confidential health information. We cannot diagnose or treat by email. Our email policies are explained further in this disclaimer. You may also wish to review our privacy statement. Disclaimer | Privacy
Every evening when I go to bed, I catch these charley horses in my foot up to my thigh. I eat a banana and yogurt daily, I take multivitamins and I’ve begun taking this homepathic ’leg cramp’ pill at night. What else can I do to relieve these cramps?
There can be many reasons for the nocturnal leg cramps. I do not know what medication you are taking and therefore I am unable to comment on your specific condition. However, I do recommend that you see your primary care physician for a work-up to make sure this is not being caused by a medication you are taking or an electrolyte imbalance.
Some things that you can try in the mean time are:
- Stretches before bedtime.
- Keeping the bed covers at the foot of the bed loose and not tucked in.
- Maintaining adequate hydration, particularly in older adults and patients on diuretics.
- Avoidance of alcohol and caffeine may also be helpful.
- Exercising in extreme heat should be avoided, walking, or a hot shower/bath for 5 minutes.
March 21, 2013 at 1:22pm
Share this article