To personally discuss a medical issue or to make an appointment, call 216-444-4HER (216-444-4437). You can also make an appointment at Cleveland Clinic. For your security, please do not use this form to email personal, confidential health information. We cannot diagnose or treat by email. Our email policies are explained further in this disclaimer. You may also wish to review our privacy statement. Disclaimer | Privacy
What are some tips for keeping my digestive tract healthy?
A healthy digestive tract helps us absorb needed nutrients, essential for a long, healthy life. Follow these tips to keep your digestion running smoothly:
- Eat at least five servings of fruits and vegetables daily.Get in your greens, but go for variety. The more colorful fruits and veggies have more nutrients.
- Choose whole grains.Whole grain bread, cereal and pasta provide the most nutrients. Look for at least 3 grams of dietary fiber per serving.
- Limit consumption of beef, pork and lamb.Choose poultry or fish for most meals, and eat smaller portions. Six to 8 ounces of meat daily are enough for most people.
- Use healthier cooking methods for poultry and fish. Try steaming, poaching, stewing, microwaving, braising and boiling. Remove skin when grilling to help avoid carcinogens.
- Get adequate calcium and vitamin D. Dairy products provide calcium; choose low-fat varieties if you eat two or more per day. Vitamin D is in fortified milk and cereals — and sunshine.
- Get active and maintain a healthy weight. At least 30 minutes of moderate to vigorous activity most days of the week will aid digestion and reduce risks of heart problems and other diseases.
- Eat a balanced diet.Large doses of nutrients won’t make you healthier. Moderation, variety and balance are what we need.
All My Best,
Speaking of Women's Health Nurse
September 20, 2013 at 1:42pm
Share this article