What are some tips for keeping my digestive tract healthy?
A healthy digestive tract helps us absorb needed nutrients, essential for a long, healthy life. Follow these tips to keep your digestion running smoothly:
- Eat at least five servings of fruits and vegetables daily.Get in your greens, but go for variety. The more colorful fruits and veggies have more nutrients.
- Choose whole grains.Whole grain bread, cereal and pasta provide the most nutrients. Look for at least 3 grams of dietary fiber per serving.
- Limit consumption of beef, pork and lamb.Choose poultry or fish for most meals, and eat smaller portions. Six to 8 ounces of meat daily are enough for most people.
- Use healthier cooking methods for poultry and fish. Try steaming, poaching, stewing, microwaving, braising and boiling. Remove skin when grilling to help avoid carcinogens.
- Get adequate calcium and vitamin D. Dairy products provide calcium; choose low-fat varieties if you eat two or more per day. Vitamin D is in fortified milk and cereals — and sunshine.
- Get active and maintain a healthy weight. At least 30 minutes of moderate to vigorous activity most days of the week will aid digestion and reduce risks of heart problems and other diseases.
- Eat a balanced diet.Large doses of nutrients won’t make you healthier. Moderation, variety and balance are what we need.
All My Best,
Speaking of Women's Health Nurse
September 20, 2013 at 1:42pm