Ask The Nurse

To personally discuss a medical issue or to make an appointment, call 216-444-4HER (216-444-4437). You can also make an appointment at Cleveland Clinic. For your security, please do not use this form to email personal, confidential health information. We cannot diagnose or treat by email. Our email policies are explained further in this disclaimer. You may also wish to review our privacy statement. Disclaimer | Privacy

My hair is falling out of my head. I have had bloodwork done, but no doctor seems concerned. I am in the beginning stages of menopause and have read that hair loss is normal.

What type of doctor should I see for potential hormone treatment? I really don’t want to wait until I am bald to get help!

You should have a medical evaluation including:

  • Past medical history
  • Family history
  • Hormone levels
  • Iron/ferritin (goal at least 50-70) zinc level
  • Vitamin D level

Many women have a predisposition to female patterned hair thinning (androgenic alopecia) that becomes more noticeable at menopause and other women have telogen effluvium worsened by stress, vitamin deficiencies, etc.

Read Dr. Holly L. Thacker’s chapter on hair/skin in "The Cleveland Clinic Guide to Menopause" and her column on hair loss, ’Hair Loss…It’s Not Something That Just Happens To Dear Ole’ Dad!’. And be sure to see a physician who specializes in this.

All My Best,
Speaking of Women's Health Nurse

April 16, 2014 at 8:58am

Share this article


Go back to the question archive