Ask the Nurse

I am postmenopausal and I am getting frequent urinary tract infections and yeast infections with vaginal soreness, irritation, and burning. Is this possibly due to vaginal atrophy? I will be consulting with a uro-gynecologist at the end of the month. Is there anything I can apply topically for relief?

Your symptoms are consistent with vaginal atrophy, which is now termed the genitourinary syndrome of menopause because it not only affects the vagina but also the urinary tract.

After menopause, you may notice the following:

  • vagina dryness
  • painful intercourse
  • urinary urgency
  • urinary frequency
  • recurrent urinary tract infections

Your doctor may prescribe local vaginal estrogen which can treat all of the above. Additionally, you may use olive oil as a lubricant.

All my best,
Speaking of Women’s Health Nurse

January 14, 2016 at 4:59pm