Do symptoms differ in women suffering a heart attack then men?
Yes, women often have different symptoms of a heart attack than men and may report symptoms before having a heart attack, although the symptoms are not typical “heart” symptoms. Women’s symptoms may include:
- Upper back or shoulder pain
- Jaw pain or pain spreading to the jaw
- Pressure or pain in the center of the chest
- Pain that spreads to the arm
- Unusual fatigue for several days
Women can protect themselves by learning to identify the common symptoms of heart disease in women, getting a physical exam that includes screening for heart disease and seeking a second opinion if symptoms persist.
All My Best,
Speaking of Women's Health Nurse
March 8, 2012 at 10:31am