Ask the Nurse

My husband and I are both in our late 30s. We have been trying to conceive for a year. Should we start to think about consulting a fertility doctor?

Yes. Even though the definition of infertility is one year of unprotected intercourse without conception, couples in whom the woman is over the age of 35 are advised to have an evaluation after six months of trying to conceive. Women with irregular periods and/or pelvic pain, men with sexual performance problems and couples who are stressed from their inability to conceive should also seek evaluation earlier than one year.

A fertility doctor is an OB/GYN who has completed several years of additional training in a reproductive endocrinology and infertility fellowship program. Cleveland Clinic is fortunate to also have one of the few male infertility specialists in the country, so we are able to provide comprehensive care for all causes of infertility. The physicians work as a team along with dedicated infertility nurses and embryologists.

All My Best,
Speaking of Women's Health Nurse

March 14, 2012 at 2:37pm