Ask The Nurse

To personally discuss a medical issue or to make an appointment, call 216-444-4HER (216-444-4437). You can also make an appointment at Cleveland Clinic. For your security, please do not use this form to email personal, confidential health information. We cannot diagnose or treat by email. Our email policies are explained further in this disclaimer. You may also wish to review our privacy statement. Disclaimer | Privacy

My friend just had a bone density test. What kind of test is this and do I need it?

Bone mineral density testing, also known as bone densitometry, quickly and accurately measures the amount of calcium in certain parts of your bones. From this information, your doctor can determine how strong your bones are and what your risk of fracture is.

The test is used to detect osteoporosis, a disease in which the bone’s mineral content and density are low, increasing a person’s risk of fracture.

There is a direct relationship between the lack of estrogen after menopause and the contribution to osteoporosis. Because symptoms of osteoporosis may not develop until bone loss is extensive, it is important for women at risk for osteoporosis to undergo periodic bone testing.

All My Best,
Speaking of Women's Health Nurse

May 4, 2012 at 3:33pm

Share this article


Go back to the question archive