Warm Cannellini Bean Salad with Salmon and Citrus Vinaigrette
A quick workday meal for the entire family.
- One 15-ounce call cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- Olive oil cooking spray
- One 12-ounce wild salmon filet
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ English cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 4 Bibb or Boston lettuce-leaf cups
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 teaspoon kosher salt, optional
- Freshly ground pepper
- Place beans in a salad bowl. Set aside.
- Heat ridged grill pan or barbecue grill. Coat grill or pan with cooking spray. Grill salmon: Cook for 10 to 15 minutes, turning once, until cooked through. Use a sharp knife to check for doneness. When done, cool 5 minutes and divide into four sections.
- Coat non-stick skillet with cooking spray. Sauté onions until translucent. Add garlic and continue to sauté for 1 minute more. Stir into reserved beans. Add cucumber, bell pepper and mint. Toss the salad.
- In a small bowl, whisk together orange juice, zest, vinegar, oil, salt (if using) and pepper; toss with salad. Place lettuce cups on four plates. Top with salad and place salmon alongside. Serve immediately.
DIETITIAN’S NOTE: Packed with fiber, potassium, and your daily allotment of omega-3-rich fats, this Italianate dish is a winner!
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
- 620 mg potassium
- 320 calories (41% calories from fat)
- 14 g total fat (2.5 g saturated fat)
- 23 g protein
- 23 g carbohydrates
- 6 g dietary fiber
- 45 mg cholesterol
- 260 mg sodium
Makes 4 servings