Recipe from Ana Fernandez, Manager, Customer Specific Marketing, Kellogg Company.
Celebrate Columbus Day and set sail for a new world of healthy eating with this Spanish paella recipe. Mix in seafood, sausage and your favorite vegetables for a real treat. Queen Isabella knew when the time was right and so will you!
- 1 pound seafood * (choose from firm, mild fish cut into 1"–2" pieces; medium-size shrimp, peeled; scallops; crabmeat; mussels or small clams, de-bearded and scrubbed clean).
- 1/2 pound chorizo or Italian sausage (substitute turkey sausage to decrease fat)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1" slices
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2–1 teaspoon saffron, dissolved in 1/4 cup hot water
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 large tomato, finely chopped
- 1 cup short-grain brown rice
- 1 can artichoke hearts, drained
- 4 ounces of frozen peas, thawed
- 6 ounces of clam juice
*Seafood listed is a suggestion, but use whatever you like and is available. Experiment with different combinations for fun. However, DO NOT use oysters. Their unique taste clashes with the others.
In a large, oven-proof skillet to be used for the sautéing, baking and serving:
- Sauté the sausage until cooked, if not already cooked.
- Remove the sausage, crumble and set aside.
- Wipe skillet clean.
- Sauté the onions, red pepper and garlic in the olive oil, until soft.
- Stir in the paprika, saffron liquid, salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In 1" of water, steam clams and mussels until just opened, discard any clams or mussels that do not open. Remove with a slotted spoon.
- Combine the remaining water, the clam juice and enough water to make 4 cups of liquid. Bring to a boil.
- Add the tomatoes to the peppers, and sauté until hot.
- Stir in the uncooked rice and sauté 3-5 minutes.
- Add the hot clam juice and mix well. Cook over moderate heat, uncovered, for 5 minutes without stirring.
- Stir in the sausage and firm seafood. Pat the ingredients into a flat, even, but still loose surface.
- Arrange the shrimp, scallops and artichokes. Press into the rice.
- Bake uncovered for 15 minutes, or until shrimp/scallops are just cooked.
- Arrange the clams and mussels, open side up, into the rice.
- Sprinkle the peas over the top. Bake for 5 more minutes.
This recipe makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
- 387 calories
- 25 grams protein
- 36 grams carbohydrates
- 16 grams fat (5 grams saturated fat)