Starting your holiday baking now that the weather has turned crisp once again? Try our chocolate-walnut biscotti. They’ll satisfy any chocolate lover and they’re a great healthy treat with a cup of your favorite tea.
- 3 tablespoons transfree vegetable shortening
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup sugar substitute
- 3 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
- ¾ cup egg substitute
- 2 cups all-purpose unbleached flour, plus more for handling the dough
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup semisweet mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using an electric mixer, combine the shortening, sugar and sugar substitute. The shortening will not cream as other fats do. Rather, the mixture will resemble tiny ball bearings. Melt the chocolate either in a double boiler or in the microwave according to package directions. Stir to make sure all chocolate is melted. Pour the hot chocolate into the sugar mixture to melt the shortening, and beat for 2 minutes. Add the egg substitute and beat at high speed for 4 minutes.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon together and then beat into the egg mixture for about 3 minutes, starting off at a low speed until incorporated. Continue to mix at medium speed until a stiff dough forms. Add the walnuts and chocolate chips; stir to combine. Using lightly floured hands or a large spoon, form two 10 x 2-inch logs with slightly rounded tops.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until the tops crack and the logs feel solid. Remove from the pan and cool for 10 minutes on a rack. (Leave the oven on.) Place on a cutting board and slice on the diagonal into ½-inch cookies. Place on the baking sheets and bake for 15 minutes. Cool and store in an airtight container.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
- Calories: 60 (37% calories from fat)
- Total Fat: 3 g
- Saturated Fat:1 g
- Protein: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 9 g
- Dietary Fiber: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Sodium: 45 mg
- Potassium: 30 mg