This stew-like dish dates back to pre-Colombian Latin America. However, you’ll still love it now! Chili, cumin and coriander give this posole dish a real kick. Say "Hola!" to this heart-healthy Chicken Posole.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless chicken breast, boned and defatted, cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup diced green chili
- 4 cups canned hominy, drained
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 1 quart vegetable stock
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced radish
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 lime, cut into 6 wedges
- 6 tablespoons tomato, diced
- 6 tablespoons Anaheim chilies, diced
- In a large sauce pan, heat canola oil.
- Add chicken and sear on outside.
- Add garlic, onions and green chilies, and sauté briefly. Add remaining ingredients, except for garnish (radish, cabbage, onion, cilantro and lime wedge).
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 1 hour.
- Portion 1 1/2 cups chicken posole into a bowl.
- Garnish with 2 tablespoons sliced radish, 1/4 cup cabbage, 1/4 cup onion, 1 tablespoon diced tomato, 1 tablespoon diced Anaheim chile, 1 teaspoon cilantro and 1 lime wedge.
- Repeat for remaining servings.
Recipe yields 6 servings
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
- 365 calories
- 43 g protein
- 29 g carbohydrates
- 9 g fat
- 108 mg cholesterol
- 763 mg sodium
- 8 g fiber