Recipe from Sharron Kornegay, Public Affairs Manager, Ross Products Division, Abbott Laboratories.
This is a terrific healthy alternative to a classic burger, or just a great vegetarian meal. Serve with Salsa or on a bun with aioli sauce or your favorite condiments. The flavor will surprise you!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup instant oats (uncooked)
- 2 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 teaspoons cornmeal
- Cooking spray
- Sauté corn, onion and thyme in 1 teaspoon olive oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Place corn mixture, chickpeas, breadcrumbs, oats, 2 tablespoons cornmeal, salt and cayenne pepper in food processor.
- Pulse 8 times or until combined and chunky.
- Divide mixture into 8 portions, shaping into a 1/2 inch patty.
- Dredge patties in remaining cornmeal.
- Heat 1/2 teaspoon oil in skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat.
- Cook each patty 5 minutes, and then carefully turn over. Cook another 4 minutes until golden.
Each recipe yields 8 servings.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
- 103 calories
- 4 g protein
- 19 g carbohydrates
- 2 g fat (17% calories from fat)
- 27 mg calcium