Recipe submitted by Valerie Simpson, Speaking of Women’s Health Celebrity Spokeswoman.
Sometimes, there’s nothing like a traditional salad to balance your diet and your taste buds. Mix fresh vegetables from your garden into this fresh dish. This salad makes a great low-calorie lunch or snack.
- 2 heads Romaine lettuce, with tough outer leaves removed
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and diced
- 1 large ripe tomato, cut into small wedges
- 1 large English cucumber, sliced
- Wash lettuce, dry, wrap in paper towels and put into refrigerator.
- In large salad bowl, mix oil, lemon juice, vinegar, sugar and garlic.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix in tomato and cucumber.
- Just before serving, remove lettuce from refrigerator, break into large pieces and toss in salad bowl.
- With salad tongs, mix vigorously until each lettuce leaf has been flavored with dressing.
This recipe makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
- 100 calories
- 1 gram protein
- 6 grams carbohydrates
- 9 grams fat
- 0 milligrams cholesterol
- 122 milligrams sodium
- 2 grams fiber