Recipe from Inés Barranca, Senior Creative Consultant, Hispanic Markets, American Greetings.
We've varied this traditional Peruvian recipe just slightly for a healthier meal. This one-of-a-kind recipe is an authentic treat your family will love!
- 1/4 cup soy sauce (low sodium)
- 2 chicken breasts, with or without breast bone
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup evaporated skim (non-fat) milk
- 5 slices white bread
- 1/3 cup chunky peanut butter
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 4 garlic cloves
- 4 tablespoons yellow pepper paste
- 1/2 teaspoon tumeric (may substitute curry powder)
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 cup oil
- 6 Yukon gold potatoes
- Boil chicken breasts in water in small pan, add a pinch of salt. When cooked, place chicken breasts aside and let them cool before shredding them. Do not discard chicken broth.
- Place bread in medium bowl, add milk and 1/2 cup chicken broth. Place in blender and blend on low speed until bread is the consistency of oatmeal. Add chicken broth or milk as necessary.
- In stewing pan, sauté onion, yellow pepper paste, minced garlic, black pepper, cumin and turmeric until onion is translucent. Immediately add the bread mixture, shredded chicken, peanut butter, salt and parmesan cheese. Stir until well blended. If mixture is too thick, add chicken broth. If you like it spicier, add yellow pepper paste.
- Serve hot over thick potato slices. May be served with long-grain white rice.
6 servings per recipe.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
- 580 calories
- 45 g protein
- 45 g carbohydrates
- 25 g fat
- 39% calories from fat (10% from saturated fat)
- 352 mg calcium