17 Health Tips for a Healthy New Year!
Posted on December 22, 2016
17 HEALTH TIPS FOR A HEALTHY 2017
1. Annual OB/GYN appointments - Schedule your yearly women's health appointment. Just because some women over age 30 who are HPV negative only need a Pap smear EVERY 5 years does not mean you can skip your yearly health maintenance visit. You are more than a cervix!
2. Omega-3 foods - Eat at least 2 servings of Omega-3 rich foods weekly.
3. Low sex drive - If you are distressed by your low sex drive, talk with your physician about flibanserin. Flibanserin or Addyi® is indicated for pre-menopausal women who have hypoactive sexual desire disorder (HSDD).
4. Fruits and veggies - Be sure to eat at least 4 servings of veggies per day and 2-3 small servings of fruit.
5. Menopause - If this is the year you enter menopause, be confident that you have several options including Hormone Therapy.
6. Deep six a bad habit - You know what your bad habit is.
7. Positivity - Banish any unlucky negative thoughts from your mind. A positive outlook improves mood and energy. If you suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), get treatment. Light therapy, exercise and vitamin D all can help!
8. Sleep - Get at least 8 hours of Zzzzz’s
9. Exercise - Reinvigorate a passion for exercise or at least move more and sit less. This will help reduce anxiety. Exercise as well as anxiety reduction is the best kept anti-aging secret.
10. Family medical history - During family gatherings, gather your family medical history. It’s important.
11. Gratitude - Find at least one thing every day to be grateful for!
12. Continue or start walking 12,000 steps per day - If you don’t have a pedometer, get one and wear it. Or treat yourself to a fit bit or other fun app.
13. Medication safety - Be sure to double check all medication directions for you and your family. You cannot get the benefits of medications unless they are taken correctly.
14. If you smoke, STOP - If you are around someone who smokes, avoid the second hand smoke. People who quit smoking – regardless of age – live longer than those who continue to smoke.
15. Set aside at least 15 minutes a day for just YOU - Whether it is meditation, reading, or talking on the phone to your best friend, be sure to give time to yourself.
16. A good role model - Be a positive role model for your children, no matter their age or yours. Both daughters and sons watch how we treat ourselves, talk about our bodies and practice healthful habits.
17. Friendships - Socially engaged adults age more successfully and are happier. Friends can help you achieve your weight and fitness goals.
Wishing all a Happy and Healthy New Year.
Be Strong, Be Healthy, and Be in Charge!
-Dr. Holly L. Thacker
Share this post
- Healthy Tips: Health Maintenance Recommendations
- Health Tips for Midlife Women
- 5 Tips to Stay Heart Healthy
- Healthy Tips: 9 Tips for Living with Pain
- Healthy Tips: Slim Down with Strength Training